Douglas Ferguson "Horse" Bowl - 1954
This exquisite bowl is a rare find. One-of-a-Kind - From Douglas Ferguson’s personal collection of his own work!
This bowl was hand thrown and decorated by artist and founder of Pigeon Forge Pottery, Douglas Ferguson.
Signed D. Ferguson, the signature includes “Pigeon Forge Pottery” and is dated 1954. Also on the bottom in red marker is NFS (not for sale) as this piece was part of Douglas Ferguson’s personal collection of his own work.
The piece is 15 ½” wide by 2 ¾” high. It is made of red clay that Mr. Ferguson collected from the surrounding area near his pottery located in Pigeon Forge Tennessee. It is glazed with one of his famous Crater glazes on the underside and hand decorated with a yellow glaze on the horse designs; covered with a very light coat of the crater glaze to give the smooth finish.
Pigeon Forge Pottery was founded in 1946 by Douglas Ferguson with the help of his father-in-law, Ernest Wilson.